collapse

Author Topic: Guide: Tips for preparing for your first convention  (Read 48132 times)

Offline keyake

• Dragon
  • tea and shiny objects!
    • View Profile
    • Halflight
Re: Guide: Tips for preparing for your first convention
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »
10k is small... Otakon last year was 31k D: I don't go anymore even though I live near it.

Offline varethane

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • Flail!
    • View Profile
    • Chirault
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »
10k is small... Otakon last year was 31k D: I don't go anymore even though I live near it.
I forgot how big Otakon was so I was just guessing. XD It can't have been much smaller than that two years ago then... guess I underestimated ._.

Offline keyake

• Dragon
  • tea and shiny objects!
    • View Profile
    • Halflight
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2012, 11:23:42 AM »
CONVENTIONS!!! what to do when your plans fall through? What emergency measures can be taken so that the con experience is still excellent?

I've gone at 2 AM before to all night kinkos (a printing chain) and gotten prints done up before, as well as having sketchbooks and homemade business cards for lack of anything better.

Having a computer with a slideshow of comics or art could be good too, to catch people's eyes!

Maybe some cut-out paper dolls of characters?

Offline varethane

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • Flail!
    • View Profile
    • Chirault
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »
Knowing the locations of any nearby Kinko's or Staples is definitely helpful-- luckily at almost all of the major conventions I've been to, there was one nearby. I tend to be a seat-of-the-pantser when it comes to conventions; I travel with little more than a binder full of prints, and hope for the best.

When I ran out of business cards at one convention (I think it was Connecticon?) and didn't want to leave the con long enough to search for a print shop, I ended up cutting up a sheet of paper into small rectangles and making little pen doodles on each one. Just simple things, with my name, URL and email address on them; each one took maybe a minute or so to complete, so they didn't take much time out of doing commissions (though my hands were pretty tired by the end of that day).

At ConBravo, despite all of my searching, I just couldn't track down any PVC piping or the like for a vertical display, so I used milk crates (which worked pretty well, particularly because they doubled as shelves :D).

I've seen people holding down tables at conventions with nothing more than a pad of paper, and they've seemed to be pretty happy; I think it might be a zen thing. I'd probably be freaking out if I didn't have at least a couple of prints on hand.

Offline Alien

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
  • i'm a bit raven. i mean, cuckoo.
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:28 AM »
All this print stuff.... What do you actually print and sell?  Fanart pinups?  Comic covers?

Offline varethane

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • Flail!
    • View Profile
    • Chirault
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »
I can't speak for the others, but..... I make prints of my illustrations (specifically, the ones in here and a scattering of others, including a couple of fanart pieces).

Offline rae

• FCP Member
  • Fire Giant
    • View Profile
    • Overlord of Ravenfell
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2012, 11:52:37 AM »
I've found that my mythology and dragon stuff tends to sell pretty well.

I don't really do fanart.

My comic art prints usually only sell to fans, but I've had some fans buy ALL the prints available of my comic art before.

Offline T III

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
  • Feran Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • Fera: A tale of monsters. A tale of beasts.
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2012, 12:20:32 PM »
Prints that I sell are a combination of landscapes, pinups, and general fantasy illustrations.

Offline Duskglass

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • GROUGALORAGRAN
    • View Profile
    • From the Machine
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2012, 03:43:23 PM »
A lot of people do sell fanart... it really depends on your personal morals/principles. (I remember reading that it's perfectly legal to sell single commissions of fanart, but not prints you've made multiple copies of? Only no one ever gets in trouble for it... so it comes down to whether you're okay with profiting off someone else's IP.)

Personally, I'd rather sell 100% original prints... I imagine it would feel a lot more satisfying. C:

Offline rae

• FCP Member
  • Fire Giant
    • View Profile
    • Overlord of Ravenfell
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
Well almost no one gets in trouble with it. I've heard of some instances where Disney or the Jim Hensen company sends out cease and desists to convention artists, but those companies are pretty rabid about derivative work. You also don't want to use any official logos in your work.

I've nothing against fanartists, but I want to focus on original work.

Offline T III

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
  • Feran Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2012, 06:02:23 PM »
A lot of people do sell fanart... it really depends on your personal morals/principles. (I remember reading that it's perfectly legal to sell single commissions of fanart, but not prints you've made multiple copies of? Only no one ever gets in trouble for it... so it comes down to whether you're okay with profiting off someone else's IP.)

Personally, I'd rather sell 100% original prints... I imagine it would feel a lot more satisfying. C:

Personally I have fan art in my portfolio to grab peoples attention, I don't actually sell it, I just think it's a handy thing to have recognisable characters that show off your skills in different styles.

As for selling fan art as prints or commissions, it's a dubious practice. Yes, it's rarely something that gets picked up but it's still copyright infringement. For instance, there was a recent court case where Marvel successfully sued the creator of Ghost Rider for a) saying he created Ghost Rider and b) drawing Ghost Rider at events for fans. And that was simply based on him originally signing a contract with them when he worked at Marvel that included a clause stating that Marvel owned the rights to anything he created whilst working for them.

Offline Sly

• FCP Member
  • Pixie
  • A small griffon is still a griffon.
    • View Profile
    • The Prime of Ambition
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2012, 07:40:56 PM »
For you European people: Connecticon used to pay for your table, then hotel room, then airfare depending on how much traffic you got from your comic (they called it tiers). Lem, who does Bunny, was flown in from England and put up one year.

However, I don't know if they're still doing that. They've made some major changes to how webcomics (now called Online Media) are being handled and there is currently no information on what these changes actually entail. I've e-mailed all the people supposedly involved, some more than once, over the past month and I've only heard back from Joe Calloway (who is the awesome guy on staff) about it. All he can tell me is webcomics won't be in the Artist Alley anymore and I should talk to the Online Media guy who doesn't e-mail me back. Haha! But CTcon has always been mismanaged like this.

Offline varethane

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • Flail!
    • View Profile
    • Chirault
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2012, 07:57:07 PM »
But CTcon has always been mismanaged like this.
Heh... Like how the one year I went, they had that whole state tax thing just being introduced, which apparently nobody involved in the convention organization was aware of in advance-- so nobody was prepared when a bunch of tax officials came around and gave everybody in the artist's alley papers requiring them to register their earnings with the state or somesuch. Good times.

Offline Muninn

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • IYMAHGURL!
    • View Profile
    • Spindrift
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2012, 10:43:58 PM »
For you European people: Connecticon used to pay for your table, then hotel room, then airfare depending on how much traffic you got from your comic (they called it tiers). Lem, who does Bunny, was flown in from England and put up one year.

However, I don't know if they're still doing that. They've made some major changes to how webcomics (now called Online Media) are being handled and there is currently no information on what these changes actually entail. I've e-mailed all the people supposedly involved, some more than once, over the past month and I've only heard back from Joe Calloway (who is the awesome guy on staff) about it. All he can tell me is webcomics won't be in the Artist Alley anymore and I should talk to the Online Media guy who doesn't e-mail me back. Haha! But CTcon has always been mismanaged like this.

That's pretty amazing :O. I'm going to some US cons sooner or later, but probable in 2013... Well.. I have my first con next week, so we'll see how that goes first :P.

Offline T III

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
  • Feran Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2012, 04:00:33 AM »

I know that in the UK it's possible to get events to pay for your transport and hotel (and get a free table) if you're invited as a guest. The only way to become a guest is to send the organisers emails offering to do workshops and panels for them. Some accept this, others don't.

I keep jokingly saying that I should get a group of UK creators together and email US events offering our services if they shoulder a large enough portion of the expenses (hotel, transport, shipping).

Also, MCM in the UK usually provide creators who have exhibited at their events previously first claim on tables at their events. Normally their new events have free tables for the first year, those that book and turn up get first claim on all tables at that event from then on. Those who book and don't turn up, can't get a table for the next years event(s).

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Which of these is usually bigger? Giant or Dwarf?:
Fill in the blank: This site is The Fantasy _____ Portal.:

* Recent Topics

* Random comic

Soul's Journey

* Tavern Chatter

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Calendar

July 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.
Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Comic Updates