collapse

Author Topic: Patreon?  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Kyulein

• Human
    • View Profile
    • Soul's Journey - webcomic
Patreon?
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:32:52 AM »
I see a growing number of artists setting up patreon campaigns. This seems to be pretty attractive for a lot of webcomic artists, too.

Has any of you been thinking about patreon already, or is even using it?

For me personally it isn't attractive yet, since I don't have my comic only yet and it will take a while until it will have an established readerbase, and my artworks alone aren't good enough yet as well to make it worth the effort.

But I'm curious what you guys think about it. And I really hope I haven't missed a similar topic somewhere.

Offline varethane

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • Flail!
    • View Profile
    • Chirault
Re: Patreon?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:35:59 AM »
Actually, I think this may be the first Patreon thread on this forum! (Running a quick search in case I'm wrong only turned up one other thread which only mentioned it briefly in connection with something else)

I set up a Patreon about two months ago and I'm glad I did! I like that it's relatively hassle-free to set up and that it's meant not to create extra work for the creators, besides keeping the patron feed updated.

There is probably more I could have done to maximize the number of backers (things like.... maybe post about it on my website or tumblr more than twice in the two months since I started it, stuff like that), but I know my own personality well enough at this point to be pretty sure that if I waited until I had everything prepared, I would still be waiting two years from now when I bring the story to its final chapter (and I'd have less money).

Offline neekaneeks

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
  • Just a dirty bird~
    • View Profile
    • Gran Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 07:40:10 AM »
All of my friends have had really successful campaigns and I will be joining them soon. Very very excited about this.

Just have a bit of an idea of what you will provide for content and then go for it.

PS Varethane you can always fix your campaign or change it a bit if you want to have different tiers, but best of luck to you hun.
Gran Grimoire: The story of men with facial hair

Offline CJohnson

• FCP Member
  • Elf
  • I like turtles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:29:05 PM »
Still in the research and planning stage, but we will be setting up a Patreon sometime this year.  The model's definitely grown on me.

Offline Arioch

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Outsider
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 11:10:01 PM »
Resurrecting this thread to ask a bit about Patreon. I've resumed updating Outsider, and I'm looking into starting up a Patreon page for it. If anyone has any thoughts or experiences with Patreon, or knows of good examples, please post about them.

One of my readers pointed out Goblins as an example of a per-page webcomic Patreon that seems to be doing well.

I know that CMorgan and neekaneeks both posted about their Patreons. I notice that both of these are per-month rather than per-page.

Offline neekaneeks

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
  • Just a dirty bird~
    • View Profile
    • Gran Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 06:09:21 AM »
It's all about what you're comfortable with and knowing your audience.

Full Circle produces maybe 2 pages a month (unless my artist gets sick), but we do make sure our monthly rewards are always delivered, therefore we are monthly. Per page for a comic that updates constantly or not is a gamble and again is about you knowing your audience and what you're requesting of them. I personally do not read Goblins, but I know that creator has had quite the bit of trouble including a really wonky Kickstarter where he got left holding an empty bag while someone ran away with all the money. This could or could not lead to more people sympathizing for him and thus giving a bit more. So there is that factor as well.

I am about to revamp my Patreon because I have not been showing it nearly enough love. I'll do that right after I climb out from under this mountain of paperwork. *hand reaches for the light*
Gran Grimoire: The story of men with facial hair

Offline varethane

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • Flail!
    • View Profile
    • Chirault
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 07:57:57 PM »
I've been running one for a little while now... I set it up to be monthly, as my comic updates frequently enough that doing it per-update might work out to a daunting amount of $$$ per month unless my rewards were in change increments (which doesn't look as appealing as round numbers).

Common reward types I've seen doing well include:
-livestreams or other streaming hangouts to which patrons are given access (Example: Wilde Life)
-secret backer-only blogs for extra content (Lackadaisy)
-early access to regular comic updates/previews (Namesake)

Extra art is also a good thing to have on hand, though I'm not sure if it's as much of a draw in itself as some of the other things.

At any rate: you should totally make one!! :D

Offline Rigrug

• Human
    • View Profile
    • Therianthrope Webcomic
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 12:20:15 AM »
I've set up a patreon few months back. I think it's actually not a bad thing to have, since you don't have to pay to create one. And it's definitely a good place for your fans to support you and help fund your comic. Since comic is a really time consuming thing to do...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Which of these is usually bigger? Giant or Dwarf?:
Fill in the blank: This site is The Fantasy _____ Portal.:

* Recent Topics

* Random comic

The Gingerbread Man Chronicles

* Tavern Chatter

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Calendar

April 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Comic Updates

anything