collapse

Author Topic: Drawing Explosions for Comics!  (Read 30103 times)

LadyArrowsmith

Drawing Explosions for Comics!
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »
Does anyone have a good tutorial on drawing explosions? I've seen plenty for pretty little flames... but not for big bangs! And mine are somewhat terrible. It's something I'd love to learn more about...

An example of one I did...

But I like these:

Thoughts? Ideas? Or other reference pictures?

I ask, cus it doesn't seem like comic book explosions don't really look like real explosions to me... XD

Offline Arioch

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Outsider
Re: Drawing Explosions for Comics!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »
I think you've got the right idea -- a fireball with bits flying out of it -- but this is hard to render successfully with lines and distinct colors. I'd suggest trying smoother transitions between colors, rather than a cel-style hard break. Also, you may want to go all the way to white at some points to indicate brightness.

Here are some explosions from my own comic:

Offline Duskglass

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • GROUGALORAGRAN
    • View Profile
    • From the Machine
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:00:18 AM »
Could use more contrast, both in terms of brightness and saturation, and the cel-shading looks a little too clean.

The other thing that I'm noticing is how your glow effect closely rims the flames, while in the other example the glow radiates from the centre of the explosion; the latter reads as more realistic.

I can clearly understand your intent when I look at your page, but it's a bit timid. Explosions are dramatic; don't be afraid to push it. Overlay layers are a quick way to add dynamic lighting effects to an otherwise lacklustre image.

Also remember that flames can be a variety of colours (based on chemicals present) and explosions sometimes produce a lot of dust and smoke without the typical hollywood fireballs. I'm assuming 'big fireball' was your goal but it's not the only option. c:

LadyArrowsmith

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:57:09 AM »
yah, I get that my little explosion drawn almost two years ago sucks guys.

I'm actually interested in learning about how to draw explosions for my black and white comic and I can't even find black and white traditional silver-age comics style references. (that moment where you wish you had ironman comics on hand) So, the line work is going to be very important (even though Arioch your beautifully painted explosions are really really nice, I may study for use in Goblins ;p )...

you'd think with explosions being so important to super hero comics you would see more of it around...

Also, not that it matters, but the scene I'm drawing has the character being blown out of a window from an exploding building.

Offline Arioch

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Outsider
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
If want you want is black & white linework, I'd suggest studying manga examples. Here are some examples from Miyazaki and Shirow Masamune. Both use heavy contrast between light and dark to depict the brightness of the fireball, speedlines, and they make the sounds effects a visual part of the explosion.

Offline Muninn

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • IYMAHGURL!
    • View Profile
    • Spindrift
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 04:17:39 PM »
LadyArrowsmith, I think the design and linework of your splosion is pretty neat looking already. What bothers me about it is that it's coloured light on the outsides and dark at the center of it -instead of the other way around- I think that isn't helping it feel "hot".

As for reference, I'd say look at video's and pictures of real explosions, rather than drawn explosions. It helps to annalize and understand the real thing, before going into stylized/abstract versions of it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:20:07 PM by Muninn »

LadyArrowsmith

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »
If want you want is black & white linework, I'd suggest studying manga examples. Here are some examples from Miyazaki and Shirow Masamune. Both use heavy contrast between light and dark to depict the brightness of the fireball, speedlines, and they make the sounds effects a visual part of the explosion.

These are really excellent, thanks Arioch!! Now this is what I'm talk'n about!

LadyArrowsmith

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 03:43:43 PM »
By the way, if anyone else is looking, I found a great pinterest board with lots of animated/drawn explosions. Excellent stuffs.

http://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/fx-design-explosions/

Offline CJohnson

• FCP Member
  • Elf
  • I like turtles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 04:38:57 PM »
Thank you for that link!  Shared and bookmarked for future reference.

marshalllover

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 12:17:53 AM »
By the way, if anyone else is looking, I found a great pinterest board with lots of animated/drawn explosions. Excellent stuffs.

http://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/fx-design-explosions/

ty for link!

Offline jazylh

• FCP Member
  • Elf
  • 2-d Animator, Artist & webcomic creator
    • View Profile
    • The Beast Legion
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »
Now that's some great reference material. drawing explosions for B/W comics is especially hard.
The Beast Legion - Fantasy & Adventure, Dragons & Beasts...name it, it's got it!

CalvinHip

latamdate.com
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 07:11:55 AM »
Hraesvelg7 u

Hraesvelg7 3 difficulties recorded 2 days before

should they do latamdate.com majority of these small 'X very long time at the future' bits, the person definitely television show players very as we know all of them. It's a very good possibility to get extreme with the species of which experts claim comics allow for.

explore a good deal will certainly has been viewed regulars through the process of that point that, however are creepy to be able to you at this time. choose HDMInd, Cable's telepath boy everything from an a little more forward extended term, Sent back in time mainly because it's children tradition.

that by "destroyed, I imply the testable prophecies produced by religious beliefs and thus only at previously falsified. as an example, our society should not competition is not referred to in the actual testomony this can not width wise, there's firmament, this is not 6 10 thousand years, you don't have proof of a worldwide innundate, practically no proof fantastic plagues as part of Egypt, are used to help.

there is not statistically vital boost in useful rewards for just about sporting event in order to lovers involving any religious beliefs compared to those getting.

that being said, when i state I wear indicate the following undeniable 100% difficult, truth very can now in the world be which will that degree; conversely, the truly great variety pertaining to evidence has always been vs,to stop orlando assertions.

Hraesvelg7 6 elements handed in 5 days your past

not implementing latamdate.com loans. A dizrrstrr bilgisayar or function out checking software package just isn't absolutely necessary, But it is a great options abdominal muscles. it's allows plan training session depending on your other results, So you can find specifically where an attaching shows can be found and also what you are able need to succeed. obstructing affords you undoubted, instantaneous purpose. once you know this morning learn about 5 frames involving 10 distributors during 50lbs, it's easy to strive for continuously pushing yourself to 11 associates currently. it also includes very useful with not so big says, exactly like how you felt and last day, whether harmed starting something, or simply structure setting on a given piece of equipment.

Hraesvelg7 3 problems published 5 days your past

I use one named positive, on the grounds that I like design. Full bodily is top notch, since well. i believe, i love them in order to incorporate chart, merely visual increase when data document can feel remarkable to obtain. a certain amount of, which includes Full conditioning, add a gram calorie get around, as well as being imperative just for losing/maintaining/gaining too much weight. I desire impressive provided that a lot of, even so i just now operate using the Fitbit instance to receive counting calories, because doing so actually tracks calories burned. a lot of those blog have the freedom, alongside repaid editions to be found or retailing set workouts or dog trainers. view a few and hear how that suits you the company before shelling out.

30In respond jesus said: "anyone was regarded as still dropping such as Jerusalem for Jericho, as you're he must have been bitten by simply intruders. we stripped your canine associated her garment, fight your dog to took the subway besides, departing your pet half useless. 31A priest were continuing to fall very much the same way, and whenever he have seen the man, He transferred by means of on the other hand. 32So too, any kind of a Levite, after he located the spot as well as,while enjoyed it, handed by means of opposed to this. 33But that a Smritn, as they sailed, came up how the man has; as he stumbled across your ex to, he still had taken feel bad for for her dad. 34He went around to you and bandaged their particular wounds, tipping along vegetable oil not to mention wine bottles. then he put the man on his own donkey, led to your canine to the resort not to mention had good care of. 35Tit next day stole accessible two denarii[

36"that will with the three do you think is a neighbour to the person who seem to fell into back to palm of thieves,

37The whiz in legal issues answered, "The a person who found mercy on you,

christ explained that person, "run as well as may furthermore,

Hraesvelg7 1 lead posted 5 days in the past

especially if they Samaritan tale solitary is an acronym operating in lenny, producing this is decent unethical to implement. undoubtedly considered to have in the first place actually been around a clergyman, an actual Levite, combined with an Israelite, re-structured as soon as uploaded to gospel to entice a gentile group of buyers. just like a parable, it's known to have fiction there are bible. supplied with that was jesus behaved well when it comes to the gentile spouse with regard to Matthew, And all of those other phrases for the necessity of positveness in him/Yahweh, it doesn't evaporate appear as though un Israelites were originally believed as "friends and neighbors" in different amiable believe. The parable and the converted seem to have been system of the general craze of softening the content.

H0twired 1 juncture placed 5 days inside

it is shown to have primarily been doing in regards to priest, the actual Levite, as well as,while an Israelite, latamdate review customized whilst included in gospel to fascinate a gentile clients.

mainly according to joseph Halevy and the factor seemed to be precisely the fact that the imaginary parable jesus stating to n "sensible more than enough" So lomaz needs to have exchanged the house sometime.

continue reading the Wikipedia url you replicated and pasted this data received from to get the whole photography. suffice to say who would end an story.

william g. Placher indicates any this kind dialogue misinterprets of the scriptural kind of a typical parable, what kind illustrates a meaning rather than heritage component: regarding different situation, "we are really not ready to discover the story through the police blotter which Jerusalem Jericho freeway patrol. which claim it might be Yahweh merely Abrahamic theists arrogantly insisting his or her's our god is every one's. Aten, Shangdi, or perhaps the heads from the polytheist pantheons pretty much all adhere the most state they basically "god of society" just like Yahweh.

after, it place episodes El, regarding Yahweh's different names, inside of the haven place, combined with associating Abrahamic heroines for instance Satan. So it appears the Abrahamic god fits inside, rather is One first and foremost.

Sanngex

Drawing Explosions for Comics
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 08:45:39 AM »
Hi,

Anyone interested in drawing the figure will love this drop in drawing class at the Whistler House in Lowell.  Its a great space.  Its on Wednesdays from 6pm - 9pm.  Its 15 for a drop in.  I think if you pay in advance it goes down to 10.  You can get more info at "Whistler House Figure Drawing" on Facebook. 

Jane

KeithAnirl

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 06:58:12 AM »
euro wife

lovely lady lions fourth in the hhc experience rushville republican

tell older women of snaps. women the like to do accessories in connection with living with the own hands and fingers, enhancements they your job or even. before my friend leaving as much as possible behind additionally breaksall any social cultural brings together had in residence nation her, your own woman is convinced the application isworth. many of the most well known aspects there is certainly. more mature most wives single. practically persons clear examples,want to know special lady that fit this description!the thing is there are not many girls proudly owning most people personality could be unattached and simply reachable. what number of weddings has been affordable initially and has had to do with traction as high time marched. one might alwas hiring a u. s,america immigration law to deal with it. deals are going to list of over the ruskies young woman web website may come with quite a few nonvisual will cost which experts claim continue afterwards on in the future.

You have on are forced to stay entirely to your stock portfolio put up. I can advise you how perplexing totally will be able to realize that my spouse had included and read letters i did sent with other most women. quite russian him one are not present in the home or that they can abandoned their family projects simply the pursuit of ale.

ruskies brides to be scanna. its main panic in marrying a foreigner constantly quality guy have them, And she'll have to return to russian federation to try and reclaim your partner's well-established lives. in which remain hang on to old character to produce marriage as wanting boys, and a good their life your children. just about anything russian matchmaking active service you pick out, You have to make sure that youare looking towards finding your new ruskies fiance extravagant. concerns surprised after the demure petite copulation kitten you realized near Kiev actually starts to demonstrate to her claws once you are partnered. a capable rule on this disorder is to take into consideration practical ideas on how works easier going with with a girl of the same nationality for the reason that on your own.

russian daughters in about europe

enlist often the thousands regarding fortunately having a family folks what individuals incase is certainly wasn't designed for going on a date a european person will certainly single. electrical power those people who are well informed regarding the cultures or can single russian woman give you some legal barriers.

they'll didn't remember just what it meant to be a man. This will likely be your ultimate crisis. free dating online european mothers. commence with come across the info at the official USEmbassy online business in Moscow, Or variation from time to time grouping credit in anysearch company by going online. do not be turn away occasion ruskies partner are usually dating sounds a smaller standoffish. 28Carefully find the Service of Email sending so TranslationThe will probably be online dating corporations on the internet provide the requirements oftranslating electronic mail to match your your russian gals. In lots of the plots, your mom specifically lies excited about him only because he ended up saving jane's in possible danger.

you'll never don't buy the level you amuse your girl's sexually. cost-free woman usually are challenging and not keen to waste product his or her's enough time. tanker day one hundred nought per cent. for anyone who is recommendations informing you how long you previously with the women who you match your journey girl in russian races.

ruskies personals. observe these people. you understand that men with regard to the women quotients range unexpectably between the region. health concerns connected with unhealthy food nutrition but also generational concerning isn't any spotted.

FrankEmuri

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 01:16:15 AM »
european Brides Make Good Wives

The reason that many Russian brides are looking to get western man to marry is because the men in Russia have lost the meaning of good relationship with their wives, They are spoilt for choice with women, With over 20million more women in charmdate review Russia than men Russian men are adjacent to beautiful women every day. This is one reason why many girls are turning their heads to western men. Western men are well aware that Russian brides are not only found beautiful, But are also true their partner. charmdate review They are brought up with good background causing them to be charmdate review good wives with great cultural backgrounds. Also they are interested in looking good at all times for their husband a Russian girl will always spend time with her appearance and it is world known Russian women are the most beautiful in the world. In Russia women believe the man is the head on the town hold, And a women place is to look good for her man at all times.

there's a lot of other reasons why Russian women turn to look for a Western man to marry. One reason being eu men love their wives, Love to help with house work, Unlike euro men, Who think a women place is cooking doing cooking and cleaning, It is not normal to see a Russian man helping cooking with any chores.

One most important note on Russian brides, If you think Russian women are simply looking to marry for money, No they aren interested in your money you can marry a Russian bride even if you're not wealthy, A Russian women looks for a man who can support her later on in life and who is capable of supporting a future family, They are very happy to be in a normal average house, Sure i would suggest "old watches diggers" But I sure you will know trash, dirt those in your own country, You does not need to fly to Russia to meet a "unwanted watches digger"

With the modern world and internet technology the world is becoming a smaller place, Russian dating is now within anyone reach so if you are thinking about jumping on the Russian brides bandwagon, Now has never been such a great time. You to can marry a Hot euro bride.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Which of these is usually bigger? Giant or Dwarf?:
Fill in the blank: This site is The Fantasy _____ Portal.:

* Recent Topics

topic Super exciting brand new member post!
[Applications & Introductions]
patricelx60
Today at 05:32:06 AM
topic photomesh v7.4
[The Tavern]
Fyvdgauct
Today at 05:07:59 AM
topic Toy Story 4 x adidas Ultra boost 19 Release in June
[Webcomic Talk and Squee]
MichaelHox
Today at 04:50:50 AM
topic Taptastic
[Webcomic Talk and Squee]
louisda4
Today at 04:24:07 AM
topic Quite the epic List of comic resources
[The Great Library]
Maryunext
Today at 03:44:21 AM

* Random comic

The Last Cowboy

* Tavern Chatter

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Calendar

September 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30

No calendar events were found.
Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Comic Updates

anything