collapse

Author Topic: Character origins.  (Read 5957 times)

Offline Muninn

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • IYMAHGURL!
    • View Profile
    • Spindrift
Character origins.
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:40:57 AM »
I'm interested to see how your characters looked when you first drew them :D

I was digging trough some of my old sketchbooks earlier today, and I stumbled upon some amusing old stuff - but also what must have been the first drawing of one of my characters, Neburas.

This thing was drawn in 2003/2004 . It wasn't dated, but I could tell by the other stuff in the book which school year I was in at the time. -Funnily enough Spindrift wasn't even a high concept back then (I just had some vague ideas of a story, but that wasn't anything special).
His design changed a lot during the years after (like.. a lot :P) - but funnily enough he ended up looking almost like how he started, and I haven't seen this drawing in quite a few years, so I'm guessing some of that is dumb coincidence.

I'll try to see if I can find some more "first appearances" of my other characters.

Offline Tigershark06

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
  • Do I look like a Myth to you?
    • View Profile
    • Darwin Comics
Re: Character origins.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:54:15 AM »
Oh man!  Origin pictures...

Yeah this picture was drawn in 1995 shortly after I dreamed of Tigershark for the first time.  And like you the character design has changed drastically since inception!

Tigershark06

LadyArrowsmith

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:34:52 AM »

Of Reign. He's more or less the same. If anything my style changed in how I draw him, more than any great design change. It was a few years back. *shrug*

Offline gpike

• Human
  • Sassbutt.
    • View Profile
    • Title Unrelated
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:44:07 AM »
OH BOY!

Here's LITERALLY the first drawing of Ciaran (2000, pre-Untitled!):

One of the oldest pics of the character who would become Mara von Snitter (1999):

The oldest one of Twapa I could find online (~mid-late 1990s):

They sure have changed a lot. XD
For reference, current versions: http://www.titleunrelated.com/cast/

Offline Mr. Average

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
  • Mr. Average Likes it Easy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:00:01 AM »
OOOOOOOO! I love looking at people's sources!

This is the original, very first drawing I did for 6-Commando. Most oft he characters are there; some were split and divided into different forms when I actually wrote the plot, and of course, Mike just kept getting bigger.

Offline Arioch

• FCP Member
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Outsider
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:29:02 AM »
Earliest sketches (pre-2000) of Alex, Fireblade, Beryl, and Tempo.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:35:15 AM by Arioch »

Offline Muninn

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • IYMAHGURL!
    • View Profile
    • Spindrift
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
Interesting to see how most of us stayed pretty close to what actually made it into the comic design wise. I'll make some snapshots of other characters tomorrow, I found some more :D.

Offline varethane

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • Flail!
    • View Profile
    • Chirault
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
Oh man, I still have my first ever drawing of Kiran because his origin was a pretty concrete moment in time-- I used to spend a lot of time on this one paintchat board, and I'd doodle stuff all over and people would collaborate and it was pretty fun (there were only maybe 5 or 6 people who were regulars on the board, it was otherwise quite private). One day I doodled this face in the corner and everyone else started drawing their characters around him, bothering him in some way (or just writing dumb questions at him). I had fun altering his face to make him react to these, and it just kinda kept snowballing until I decided I liked the personality this random face had developed, and was gonna keep him around.

The comic part came only about a month or two later. And obviously I've drawn a lot more of this guy since then (and changed his design around a LOT-- only the face and the horns have really stuck around, and I am happier for it XD). But this was the very first!

Offline Ronin356

• FCP Member
  • Fire Giant
  • Only Chuck Norris can successfully divide by zero.
    • View Profile
    • Killjoy: The Raygun Chronicles.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 11:03:36 PM »
I have Magenta's first page somewhere. I'll have to post it tomorrow.

Offline Eolill

• FCP Member
  • Human
    • View Profile
    • Storm
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 02:56:18 AM »
Eolill and Arche's origins are obscured somewhere in my videogaming past... which is why I'm writing plot around why Eolill's hair is white, and why she is stuck with green trousers and orange boots when I try to give everything else more reasonable colours. >.>  The first comics featuring Arche and Eolill were just RuneScape or Tibia in jokes, and their personalities/back stories were different from what they are these days.  The main thing that ever changed any was Eolill's skin colour.

2007 (tibia joke comic)

2008 (character designs for real comic)

(today)

Offline Eolill

• FCP Member
  • Human
    • View Profile
    • Storm
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 03:18:05 AM »
Orpheus' story is longer and less arbitrary, though!  He was a friend's character in a forum roleplay I was in in like 2003, and in 2005 I worked on a comic about the characters on that forum, where Orpheus featured (as Darquarius, as he was known then)!  His colouring was originally different, and he's gone through several wardrobe changes.  The 2nd picture was his original design for Storm, but then a new character was added who basically had his same hair and skin colour (and needed to keep them because of world building, whereas Orpheus' back story conveniently allows him to look any which way I fancy, so).

2005                                                                            2009                                                                      2014

...in short, the comic has loads of baggage from my teens, which is written into what I hope is a moderately coherent story. >.>  Oh well!

Offline varethane

• FCP Member
  • Ancient Wyrm
  • Flail!
    • View Profile
    • Chirault
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 03:56:51 PM »
Hehe.... the comic I'm planning to do once I finish Chirault has a similarly loooong history (ie, full of baggage from my teens and from... well before my teens, too XD;;; I first conceived of some of the characters when I was 9....). I love it when characters stick around so strongly for such a long time.

Orpheus's final design looks great!

Offline rjmelrose

• Human
  • RyanMelroseComics
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 08:06:54 AM »
here is mine lol they weren't great https://tapastic.com/series/24226
rjm:) :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Which of these is usually bigger? Giant or Dwarf?:
Fill in the blank: This site is The Fantasy _____ Portal.:

* Recent Topics

* Random comic

Erstwhile ~ Fairy Tale Comics

* Tavern Chatter

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Calendar

April 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Comic Updates

anything