collapse

Author Topic: Getting the buggers to read your story - the newbies dilemma  (Read 808 times)

Offline johnathanmark

• Human
    • View Profile
    • The Hours After Midnight
Getting the buggers to read your story - the newbies dilemma
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »
After agonising for years as to whether I should drag my tales into the light and show them to world, I eventually plucked up the courage and then drank until I was confident enough to show my stuff to the world. I roped in all my friends and said to them: "My friends you are now roped in - read this"  and I thrust the pages into their faces, demanding that they read the story. Read it and by god you had better like it! (I am not always rational when I am drunk - I feel your judgement!)

Anyway, where was I?...Oh yes, most of the feedback was positive. I was given a few suggestions and ideas but mostly the buggers said nice things without me needing to threaten their mums.

Then I launched the site and nervously waited for the readers to pour in...which they did not. Not even a trickle.
I was immediately worried that everyone in the world was dead. So I went to ask my wife what she thought the problem was. She told me: 'stop telling everyone that I am your wife and the restraining order states that you can't come within 200 metres of me, besides no-one owes you anything - you have to give the audience what THEY want.' 

So after that wordy rant, I guess my question is - market research and market penetration. What do the readers really want, and how do I as a story teller get it to them. There is no magic bullet, I am interested in your stories, how did you get your stories to readers, and how did you get feedback from them?  Small snippets of upcoming story arcs? Polls on the outcomes of the story? Handing out candy from my panel van?
After midnight, I can see the monsters

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Which of these is usually bigger? Giant or Dwarf?:
Fill in the blank: This site is The Fantasy _____ Portal.:

* Recent Topics

* Random comic

Yrasa and the smugglers

* Tavern Chatter

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Calendar

May 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.
Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Comic Updates